Manitoban wild rice is harvested using traditional Indigenous methods. This recipe combines the authentic taste of wild rice with fresh vegetables to make a sumptuous salad that’s perfect for a hot summer day.
1 cup (200 g) wild rice
4 eggs, hard boiled and coarsely chopped
½ cup (115 g) thinly sliced celery
¼ cup (50 g) chopped green pepper
¼ cup (50 g) diced onion
½ cup (115 g) coarsely chopped tomato
½ cup (100 g) diced cucumber
¾ cup (175 ml) mayonnaise
2 tsp (10 ml) Canadian grain mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
Lettuce leaves for serving
1. Add rice to boiling water and cook on high until grains burst open (approximately 60 minutes).
2. Drain rice, rinse with cold water, add some oil and dry in a slightly warm oven.
3. Toss the cooked wild rice with the eggs, celery, green pepper, onion, tomato and cucumber.
4. Blend the mayonnaise with the mustard and salt and pepper, then fold into the wild rice mixture.
5. Serve on crisp lettuce leaves.
Shake up your salads by stirring wild rice into jellied salads or sprinkling it cold into green salads.